Now that it is mid-winter in this part of the world, my attention over the past month or so has turned to working with merino cowls and silk velvet scarves. As usual the merino has been giving some lovely prints but when I went to print on the silk velvet it was another story – all I could get were some rather disappointing smudges – abstract and subtle are ok but its not what I was aiming for and certainly nothing like the great prints I got last winter.
So I decided to see what would happen if I overdyed them and here is the result – not quite a print but at least a big more interesting than a smudge.
Wondering where I had gone wrong and fearing I had lost my touch with silk velvet I brewed up a new dye bath in my trusty iron pot, bundled some eucalyptus nicholii on a new piece of silk velvet and into the pot it went – this is what came out this morning, phew.
Just for good measure I put a habotai silk bundle with nicholii into the pot at the same time – interesting how the same plant, dye bath and pot can give such different results on different fabrics.
The leaves I used to create the dye bath were purple akeake (dodonaea viscosa “Purpurea”) – here is what it looks like printed on habotai silk – in an iron pot again but with a dye bath made from rose stems this time.
I will certainly be using it again!